No matter if you’re a blogger, freelancer, startup, or established brand, when you look for a reliable VPS provider to power your website, one of the most important factors you will look at is the amount of bandwidth a VPS provider includes on a monthly basis.
What Is Bandwidth Really?
In the web hosting industry, bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be uploaded and downloaded to a server per month. So, for instance, if you have a VPS plan which includes 100 GB of data-transfer per month, then the total amount of data that can be uploaded and downloaded in a single month should be 100 GB.
Let’s say you upload a 2 GB video onto your website through your server. So if the file is 2 GB, the maximum number of times your website visitors can download that video would be 49.
This is obviously a problem for video-sharing sites, and really any website in general that receives a large influx of traffic on a regular basis. A VPS provider who offers unlimited bandwidth solves this problem.
A network’s uplink speed is a pivotal factor that will go into the quality of bandwidth you will receive from a hosting provider. Uplink speed is measured in megabits per second (Mbps or M/bs), and refers to the rate at which data travels to and from a web server every second.
Transfer speeds commonly used by VPS providers, their data centers, and the underlying network carriers are 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, and up to 10 Gbps. Generally, 100 Mbps and above are considered fast connections. Unlike bandwidth, network speeds cannot be unlimited since there are actual physical limits to what the company’s hardware can do.
Choosing the Best Unlimited Bandwidth VPS Provider
Choosing the right VPS provider who offers unlimited bandwidth boils down to understanding a few simple factors.
• Port Speed – At least 100 Mbps is optimal.
• Price – Less is not always more.
• Virtualization Technology – KVM, Xen, Hyper-V, or OpenVZ? If you’re a developer or designer, you will probably want to avoid OpenVZ containers due to the lack of customization options.
• Quality – Is the provider using the latest hosting equipment? Are they resellers? Are they a well-established business with years in experience?
• Location – Does your VPS need to be offshore, in a specific country or region? Do you want your server to be housed in a country notorious for fast internet connections?
• Storage – What is more important to you: A smaller amount of speed-optimized SSD space or a larger amount of standard HDD storage?
Not sure where to turn next? Feel free to check out our comprehensive list of the best unlimited bandwidth VPS providers in the industry, ranked with the above factors in mind.
VPS hosting with unlimited bandwidth comes with a lot of benefits for any website. The providers on our list are the best the market has to offer when it comes to this type of hosting solution. However, if you want to use your VPS to stream video content, we highly recommend going with one of the offshore hosting companies on the list — like AbeloHost or Kamatera.
Using an offshore hosting company for your video website can help you go around DMCA rules and other content restrictions that may apply in your country. If you want to learn more, check out this guide to offshore hosting.